Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day Cookies

I made RV some cookies for Valentine's Day...in the heart shape and everything! And the best part? Low fat, low cal! (Not that he needs that, haha). I recently got a cookie press that has 12 different shapes, and this was the first time that I got to use it. It was pretty exciting. It was a little bit tricky to work at first, but once the cookie dough was loaded it was pretty easy to use. I'll show you the press, the recipe and the cookies, just keep on reading.

They came out a little bit...blob-ish. But you still get the general idea. And I added the Valentine's Day M&Ms, just to be absolutely adorable!

Here's the recipe. I doubled the recipe to get enough cookies...there were more than the picture above, but I burnt a batch. The cookie press puts out thinner cookies, so I had to reduce the baking time from 9 minutes to 5 minutes.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Preparation:

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg white and vanilla and mix until well blended.
-In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Gradually add flour mixture to egg and sugar. Use a wooden spoon to work the dough together. Don’t worry if the dough seems a little crumbly at first. Stir in chocolate chips.
-Drop cookie dough by the teaspoonful on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat if you have one.
-Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
For this I added the M&Ms after I had clicked out the dough through the cookie press, there was no way they, or chocolate chips, would fit through the opening. 
Here's a few pictures of the cookie press so you know what I'm talking about. I got it from Michael's for $7-8, I can't remember exactly.
The cookie dough goes right into that tube, and you pull the trigger. You'll here a click (when it's lined up correctly) and it disperses the perfect amount of cookie dough for the shape that you have.

Here's the end where the cookie dough comes out.

That is what pushes the cookie dough through the tube.

It comes with 12 plates for different shapes.

This is the plate that I used for heart cookies.
Valentine's Day is tomorrow, so there's still time to make some of these cookies! Hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day with your loved ones! (Or happy Singles Awareness Day...trust me, been there plenty of times!). 
CM

No comments:

Post a Comment